sonnet L2/G3 in 6500 powermac

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 12 23:38:01 2004

Dear Kenneth, David

Kenneth: I have kernel 2.4.22-2f and will replace it with 2g
one of these days, but I rather doubt this will make the
difference. [But I'll eat my words with joy if it does...!]

By the way I have also tried the trick with powerlogix
G3/G4 cache control extension, which should pass a vital
l2cr address to BootX, but this does not work for me:

http://lists.yellowdoglinux.com/yellowdog-general/July00/0169.html

The next item on that old thread also explains how to
get the G3 recognised once you are inside linux with the G3
running (so the Sonnet extension already did its work),
all to do with /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr, but since I don't get into
linux at all when Sonnet is on, I don't think this can work.

> I gave up on getting the g3 to work.

David, was that also the 6500?

I must admit that this quest is a kind of labour of love.
It is a 6500 motherboard inside an LC 630 case (which was
one of the famous "ten worst macs ever built"). And it
is such a nice little machine... (the LC 630 was our family
computer for many years, it was fine).

But I also have an iBook 2 USB, G3 of course, and yellowdog runs
just fine there (but then I had the hardware bug problem, in the
course of which everything got wiped clean; only put back OSX
so far). Also I had good experience with knoppix-MiB-ppc on
that machine.

Yours
Richard

http://www.math.uu.nl/people/gill