External Firewire Drive

Thierry de Coulon yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 13 05:09:01 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 12:51, Terry Oblak wrote:
> I run YDL 3.0 on my G4 Powerbook titanium.  I'm looking at getting an
> external firewire drive as a storage device.
>
> I guess I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1)  Will YDL 3.0 automatically recognize the drive after it has been
> plugged in and the computer rebooted?

no, AFAIK you'll have to load a few modules

> 2)  Will any additional modules need to be added to the kernel?

firewire drives require ohci1394 (should be loaded automaticaly on a Mac I 'd
say) and sbp2 (console -> su -> modprobe sbp2)

> 3)  I'm assuming the drive will have to be reformatted, correct?

Unless it is hfs or you have a working hfs+ solution, yes

> 4)  Are there any particular drives that will work best with YDL 3.0?

Don't know. Mine was built in an external case by myself.

> 5)  Anything else I should be aware of?
>
> TIA,
>
> Terry

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein