Cannot change volume in xmms

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 14 19:57:01 2004

Friends:

I cannot change the volume in xmms (Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 with latest
updates running on a PowerBook G3 Series Wallstreet). Clicking and
moving the volume widget has no effect on sound volume (see my
workarounds, below). Does anyone else have this problem? Better still,
does anyone else know how to fix it?

I listen to streaming Internet radio (NPR on KCRW Simulcast
<http://205.188.234.68:8018/> -- highly recommended) using xmms. The
Output Plugin I have selected in xmms is "OSS Driver 1.2.7 [libOSS.so]."
Also, if I select Kicker -> Sound & Video -> Sound Mixer (which brings
up KMix), I cannot change either the system volume or the xmms volume. Darn.

The only ways I can change the volume are [1] to change the overall
system volume using the hardware volume key that brings up "pbbuttonsd,"
or [2] move the "Preamp" widget in the Equalizer (since the stream is
buffered, this has the entertaining/infuriating effect of being delayed
5-8 seconds).

Any help?

As always, thanks for the combined wisdom of the Yellow Dog General List!

Best wishes,
Clint