Powerbook and boot from CD problem

Andrew yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 17 12:47:10 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 13:53, Jason Warm wrote:
> I am trying to install YDL from downloaded iso files.  I have tried
> burning the CD on both Mac and PC and the result is the same.  When I
> boot into OS 9, the CD mounts fine and I am able to read it, but when I
> hold down "C" to try to boot off the CD-ROM it fails everytime and
> simply boots from the HD.  It does seem like it starts to read the CD,
> but simply continues on to boot off the hard drive.
>
> Jason

You must have a 'old world' Mac.. Install BootX to boot from the
YellowDog CD.

**INSTALL BOOTX***
1- unstuff the bootx_1.2.2.sit found into the 'boot' directory of the
CD1
2- Put 'BootX' into the Control Panel and the bootx extention into the
extention folder.
3- Create a new folder in the System Folder, name it 'Linux Kernels' I
think this must be case sensitive.
4a- Put both kernels found on the 'boot' directory of the CD into 'Linux
kernels' folder. (vmlinux-xxxx and vmlinux-xxxx-BOOT)
4b- Copy 'ramdisk.image.gz' from the 'images' directory wherever you
want it to be. I've put mine into the Linux Kernels folder..
5- reboot your mac.....

***CONFIGURE BOOTX***
1- You will meet the BootX box. Select 'vmlinux-xxxx-BOOT' from the
pull-down menu.
2- Click 'Options...', check 'Use specified RAM Disk', click 'Choose...'
and select 'ramdisk.image.gz'. Exit the Options...
3- last step is to setup the video.. More than often, you can use the
'no video driver' Please use the net to find out what would be the
proper line for you...

Now you can click 'Linux' and the installer will show up. Installing
YellowDog is quite straight forward. When done installing, you will be
asked to reboot, make sure you use the vmlinux-xxxx kernel (NOT the one
that end with -BOOT)

Have fun!