ati128fb mirror problems

Paulo Tribolet Abreu yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 18 09:49:00 2004

Hi all:

This is iBook@500MHz (first white dual USB, from 2001), with 576MB RAM,
and YDL3.0 yum-updated yesterday (does it make it a YDL 3.0.1?). The
video card is ATI RageM3 with 8MB VRAM. The problem is that the
mirroring is not working well:

I can boot with video=ofonly, and the mirroring is on by default, and
is fine on the console. With X, the colors are all wrong, but they are
the same both on the LCD and on the external CRT, so I guess it is
something wrong on my X config file, that is not why I'm asking for
help.

The real issue is when I boot with video=ati128fb:crt:1,lcd:1, or when
I boot without the options and later use
$>m3mirror crt:1
The results are the same: the iBook LCD is always fine, but the
external CRT has the following problems:

* On the console, the top line is cut and I have extra empty space on
the bottom with the. This space doesn't go away if I use the image
controls on the CRT.

* Under X, it is broken: the colors are all wrong, and the size too,
like it is several time bigger, with empty lines and some flickering.
It 100% unusable.

I've done some research, and tried a few things, and it seems that:

* Under MacOSX, the refresh rate is 75MHz with my external monitor
connected, while under YDL it is 60MHz, and I can't change it. I've
used fbset to no avail, also some extra config lines in XF86Config,
also without any results.

* Under MacOSX I can use both 24bpp and 32bpp, but it seems that under
YDL/XFree I'm stuck with 24bpp.

Can someone help me with this? It seems that there should be a way to
set the refresh rate of the external monitor to 75MHz, in order for it
do work. And the 32bpp? Any clues?

Thanks all,

Paulo