logout

Norberto Quintanar yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 19 13:45:11 2004

--- James Ricken <?> wrote:
> Norberto Quintanar wrote:
>
> >Logout from the machine completely or logout from a network
> >connection?
> >
> >Logout from machine completely
> >
> Thanks Jim

Jim, I don't know if this will work in YDL- I have no need for this
at home -  but on all my other Linux boxes this works.

In root set the special variable of  Linux named "TMOUT" to the time
in seconds.  Edit your profile file using your favorite text editor
"/etc/profile" and add the following line  TMOUT=3600  somewhere
after the line that reads

"HISTFILESIZE="
 TMOUT=3600

So it looks like this:

HISTFILESIZE=
TMOUT=3600

The value entered for the variable "TMOUT=" is in seconds and
represents 1 hours (60 * 60 = 3600 seconds). If you put this  line in
your "/etc/profile" file, then the automatic logout after one hour of
inactivity will apply for all users on the system. You can set this
variable in user's individual ".bashrc " file to automatically logout
them after a certain time.  After this parameter has been set on your
system, you must logout and login again (as root) for  the change to
take effect.

Hope this helps Jim

Norberto