MOL on Powermac G5, possible ?

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 20 09:06:01 2004

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, sloopy wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 10:03, jaspal.kallar.xfree86@spray.se wrote:
> > I have a dual powermac G5 and a separate partitions for OS X
> > and linux. I'm wondering if anybody has had any success running
> > MOL with the powermac G5 and the kernel 2.6 series and panther 10.3.3 ?

> sloopy.
>
> On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 08:25, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > today I installed Debian on a PowerMac G5, which is to become a
> > dual-boot machine for occasional graphics work and building and
> > testing Linux kernels.  While I was at it, I thought I'd give mol a
> > try as well, but it did not even start, hanging the module on the
> > first try and crashing the machine on the second.
> >
> > Anything I can do to help with G5 support?  Any other hints?
>
> I spent some time digging into it and it's not trivial. It's definitely
> easier if we limit ourselves to a 32 bits host kernel, but then, I don't
> intend to support 32 bits kernels indefinitely on the G5. Havign the
> module work within a 64 bits kernel is definitely more difficult. There
> is some work beeing done here by Paulus rewriting the ppc64 kernel
> exception entry/exit path, I'm mostly waiting for that to be done (and
> other stuffs eating my spare time) before I have a look at it again.
>
> Ben

FYI, I got in touch with a MOL developer and asked if my little experience
in C++/C would be of use to help port MOL to G5. His answer below suggests
that it will take some time until we have MOL on G5 :-( Anyway his brief
answer (I'm not good at assembly level code).

"Well, adding g5 support is highly nontrivial. It requires a rather
extensive reconstruction of the assembly level code (src/kmod/*.S).

/Samuel"