Problems after hard crash

Steven J. Norton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu May 20 11:39:01 2004

Regarding my earlier message -- never mind! I was "hoist by my own petard"
-- I was following instructions for hardening Linux in a SANS handbook, and
had changed permissions on utilities in /sbin and /usr/sbin to lock out
users other than root user/group. Apparently that munged the method KDE used
to launch those programs, even though it still has to ask me for the root
password before proceeding. I've since added my main administrative account
to the root group, and things are mostly back to normal. (How dangerous is
this?)

I'm still having problems with the CUPS server, in that it is apparently
running fine and is configured properly (no recent changes) but suddenly I
cannot print from within KDE. I get an error message that the print manager
cannot get the printer list from the CUPS server,  with a detailed message
that the IPP connection to the CUPS server has "failed for an unknown
reason." Not very helpful. [Now, after messing with the configuration files,
I get a message saying "connection refused." When trying to print from the
command line (as root), by piping through lpr with a printer specified, I
get "server-error-service-unavailable." Hmmm.] This is still a major pain,
and I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Steve N