(no subject)

Eli Cantu yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 22 18:13:01 2004

> Oh, Yeah. I had a kinda OT questio as well. I installed Fedora FC1 on
> my i586 with 80 MB RAm and it's slower than molasses. Should I have
> chosen a different distro? (For those of you in the know)
>
> thx

you could choose a different distro i suppose. but if you thinking along the
lines of "kernel" optimizations, it wouldn't matter which distro you used, you
would still have to compile your own to slim it down. as most distros ship with
kitchen sink kernels.

what i think your true problem (and this applies to redhat based ydl as well) is
the number of services enabled.

on a redhat based distro do a:

#chkconfig --list | grep on

this will show you what's enabled. you can leave off the pipe/grep-on part so
that you can see the stuff that is disabled as well.

so now that you see what is "enabled", you can now disable stuff.

e.g. you want to disable httpd, or sshd because you don't need those daemons
listening for incoming connnections you would do the following:

#chkconfig httpd off
#chkconfig sshd off

this does not immediately stop the services/daemons, but configures them not to
start at boot time.  to stop them immediately as well:

#/etc/init.d/httpd stop
#/etc/init/d/sshd stop

you will have to experiment/research on what you can turn off, it depends on
what you are doing. I have taken a machine that boots to a prompt and is using
100+ megabytes of memory to less then 24 megabytes of memory used(after
optimization). for a workstation a lot of daemons are not that critical. Does
your workstation NEED 6 virtual counsoles? no? edit /etc/inittab file and
comment out a few of those ttys. save 400k each.

use this to check memory resources:

#free -m

might want to check before and after to see your progress.

good luck