Can't install YDL 3.0 on a Nubus PowerPC 7100

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 24 06:04:01 2004

Mr. Bohlin:

Tobias Bohlin wrote:
> This machine won't install the standard Mac OS 8.0.

That's odd -- it should install Mac System 8 without any problem. Where
did you get your installation disks? Maybe you have one of the
machine-specific install disks that Apple used for a while (a bad
experiment that helped no one, in my opinion). However, it sounds as if
you are able to boot into Mac System 8. Is that correct?

> Therefore, I did a minimal install.

A minimal install might omit important components. Consider asking
someone to borrow a different set of Mac System install disks.

> I've done all the "drag ramdisk.gz... to various
> locations"-stuff when time for apple menu-control
> panels-bootx app (trying to open it)
>
> I consistently get error 10 and a red hand prompting me to close all
> open docs and restart the computer

Yellow Dog says that the PowerPC 7100 (a "NuBus family Power Macintosh")
is not very well supported:

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/breakdown/index.php?hw_cat_id=8>

They recommend going to the Linux/PPC for NuBus Power Macs page:

<http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net/>

That page contains links for different versions of the Linux/PPC kernel
and BootX. Try using those.

Good luck!

Best wishes,
Clint