sonnet L2/G3 in 6500 powermac

Rick_Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 24 14:25:00 2004

Richard,

Are you sure the extensions get started in the right order?  In
particular, if the BootX extension executes before the Sonnet extension,
the G3 will never get started.

Hint1: Extensions start in alphabetical order.  That's why the BootX
extension is named with the funny bullet character at the beginning --
to make sure it starts very early in the sequence.  If the G3/L2
extension isn't using a similar hack, it's too late in the sequence.

Hint2: You can usually rename extensions pretty much at will without
harming their functionality.  Developers know that you might have to
rename things for exactly this kind of reason, and don't (usually)
program anything special that depends on the name.

Also, I believe there is a hack to set the L2 cache size and/or other L2
parameters, but I don't recall what it was called or where to get it.  I
don't even remember whether it ran under Linux or MacOS.  Maybe somebody
else on this list remembers more.

HopeThisHelps,

Rick