sonnet L2/G3 in 6500 powermac

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 24 20:03:00 2004

Rick - thanks! But:
> Are you sure the extensions get started in the right order?  In
> particular, if the BootX extension executes before the Sonnet extension,
> the G3 will never get started.

Yes. In fact with ResEdit I changed the "type" of the Sonnet extension
from "INIT" to "scri" so it loaded before BootX. This is the usually
recommended way.

> Also, I believe there is a hack to set the L2 cache size and/or other L2
> parameters, but I don't recall what it was called or where to get it.  I
> don't even remember whether it ran under Linux or MacOS.  Maybe somebody
> else on this list remembers more.

Yes. There is in fact an extension called G3 Cache enabler,
made by Powerlogix, which passes an L2 parameter from the Sonnet card
to BootX. I made this also into a "scri". It loads between the other
two. There is also a trick you can use once you are in linux
(with the G3 card running the show). But I never got so far.
These things are for enabling the L2 cache on the G3 card, not for
having the G3 power Linux.

pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel here...

Richard.