easy way to backup to repartition your drive

David Hacker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat May 29 20:36:01 2004

I just got a new eMac and I had configured it all and I really didn't
want to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall from scratch, so I got
to thinking of other ways.

An easy way to back up your partition, if you have an external drive or
another hard drive, is to start up from the OS X install CD and open
Disk Utility.  Then create a new disk image on the external drive that
is big enough to hold the contents of your current OS X installation.
Then you can use the restore function, by putting your hard drive as
the source image and the disk image you created as the destination.
Then you can reformat the internal hard drive and make your smaller
partition and free space for linux.  Once you have your new partiton
just go back to restore and put the disk image in the image section and
your new blank hard drive partition as the destination.  Once it's done
just reboot and everything is just as you left it, but on a smaller
partiton.
I just thought it might be something helpful to put on the new FAQ page
that Clint is working on.
Hope this helps some of you to save time.

BTW, I just got Gentoo up and running on my new eMac 1.25 GHz with the
ATI Radeon 9200 and the video wasn't a problem at all with the 2.6.4
kernel.  I am going to try YDL but I have heard that there are a lot of
problems with it for some reason on this new model eMac.

David C. Hacker, DVM
212 N 1st St #2
New Salem, ND 58563
(701) 843-8179