Is Linux Unix??

Ben Ricker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 30 08:54:01 2004

I would add one thing to this issue: Linux, on one level of comparison,
is most definitely LIKE Unix, if not IS Unix.

As Clint, I believe, mentioned, Linus Torvalds needed an operating
system. He started by creating, basically a shell with memory
management, CPU scheduling, etc. (and ran it on cheap PC hardware,
another important distinction). But as Linux grew, Linus et al. wanted
an OS that did the things that Unix could do: preemptive multi-tasking,
use protected memory allocation (bye-bye memory stomps), etc. So even
if it is not Unix, it is sort of a reverse engineered clone that can
run on PC hardware. OS X is more a direct descendent of UNIX then
Linux, but at the level of executing, UNIX, LINUX, and OS X are very
similar indeed.

Ben Ricker