OT: Is Linux Unix??

Longman, Bill yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 30 20:27:01 2004

Release 10, currently in beta release, comes with the GNU software
integrated into it, to the point that CDE, the desktop manager included
with Solaris since it's early releases, has been replaced with KDE, a
desktop manager developed under Linux.

CDE is actually a late arrival for Sun. They've always shipped OpenLook as
their window manager and only since about 1995 or so did they decide to ship
CDE with their OS. If they are distributing KDE with Solaris 10, that's a
flip-flop from their embracing Gnome. I never understood why anyone would
use CDE over OpenLook but I can understand going with KDE.