Terrasoft appears to be taking order for YDL 4.0 now

Ryan Nix rnix at prometheon.net
Thu Nov 4 16:23:48 MST 2004

You said:
Well, umm, well, umm. If you want to use the software and want to get
bug fixes/updates there has to be some incentive for a company to work
on it, doesn't there (especially if the company doesn't sell
hardware)? (though, the paradigm for OSS is somewhat different)

Reply:  Terrasoft doesn't work on that much. Its OSS.  Its a community effort, of which, we who answer questions on this list are apart of.  The incentive, is to sell service.  My company sell services based on open source software, but we don't charge for the software itself.

You said:
They do allow people to d/l from a mirrored site, for free!

For the whole of $0 you get an OS that's not that far behind Mac OS X
in terms of capabilities, robustness, and, with every passing year,
user friendliness.

I'm amazed that they go to the effort to put together an ISO for
people to download _for free_. I think it'd be absolutely fair to
charge $10 or $20 to d/l the ISOs. Just because it's "Open Source"
doesn't mean that it has to be free!

Reply:
They don't allow YDL 4 to be downloaded from the mirrors.  Where is it?  Why isn't it allowed?  Can I upload it to, say, the Univeristy of Oregon servers?  Its open source after all.  Terrasoft isn't like SuSE that has proprietary extensions or  Linspire that also has proprietary software bundled.

Knoppix is free and can be downloaded for free.  Mandrake, Debian, etc are all downloadable for free.

Lasty, you said:

There's one other bonus of having companies involved in the making of
distros -- if they're going to sell copies they need to make sure that
their distro works out of the box on a number of different types of
computers... and YDL does.

Reply:
YDL 4 didn't work on my iBook G3 600mhz right out of the box.  I still haven't gotten a response out of them on this.  I can't call them either.  Its this list that Terasoft rely's for the community to help.

Mandrake 10.1 PPC works fine and I'm probably going to switch.

--
Ryan Nix
President
email rnix at prometheon.net