Terrasoft appears to be taking order for YDL 4.0 now

Pat Plummer, MD blacksun at ix.gotdns.org
Thu Nov 4 23:00:12 MST 2004

To Mr. Ryan Nix, President, Prometheon, Inc:

You said:
Terrasoft doesn't work on that much.

Reply:
No. They don't. Just the PPC specific stuff. I would guess that most of
the work done in this regard by the TerraSoft/YDL folks along with the
work of Benjamin Herrenschmidt and only a very few others is shared by
the OSS community at large. PPC is a small niche area of Linux in the
big scheme of things, but where the PPC/Macintosh is concerned, they do
one HELL of a lot for those of us that love all things Mac. I would say
that most likely those other distros you mention are sharing in the
work that these folks have done when it comes to the PPC/Mac specific
pieces - not the other way around. Take a look at the small print when
you read about the other distros you mention to see who it is that is
making the PPC versions possible.

You said:
They don't allow YDL 4 to be downloaded from the mirrors.  Where is it?
  Why isn't it allowed?... Knoppix is free and can be downloaded for
free.  Mandrake, Debian, etc are all downloadable for free.

Reply:
You either haven't been around here very long or haven't been
listening. When the nice folks at YDL come out with a new version, they
always offer it to YDL. net folks first, the folks that wish to buy
next, and then it is offered for download. And before YDL.net, it was
offered for sale for a few weeks before the ISOs were released. It's
been that way since Champion Server 1.0.

You said:
YDL 4 didn't work on my iBook G3 600mhz right out of the box.  I still
haven't gotten a response out of them on this.  I can't call them
either.  Its this list that Terasoft rely's for the community to help.
Mandrake 10.1 PPC works fine and I'm probably going to switch.

Reply:
Hummph. You oughta try an install on an Apple Network Server.

Mandrake charges for their products as well and they cover ALL types of
platforms. YDL only does PPC/Mac. On hardware that changes on a regular
basis without advance warning and for which info is not immediately (if
at all) released.

But if Mandrake works for you, knock yourself out :). You'll find that
many times the PPC versions of their distros lag behind x86 and others.
Gee, now I wonder why that is?

It would seem that a president of a big IT company that charges for his
company's services would understand that it takes money to run a
business and help drive progress...

Ah, well.

I'll be buying my YDL4 when it's available, just like I have since CS
1.0. Putting at least a little money where my mouth is.

Pat