Does Red Hack suck?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sun Nov 7 01:55:03 MST 2004

After several trials to get YDL 4.0 to work on my PB 12" 1GHz (fine graphics
but still no sound), I also gave Mandrake PPC 10 (beta) a try - total
disaster, the thing won't even find a usb mouse, not to speak about no X at
all.
Then , from some message on the web, I found out ubuntu (www.ubuntu.org) and,
while I was at it, I tried it as well. Miracle: a fast, clean installation,
sound, graphics...  The only thing is that they don't provide KDE and I don't
like Gnome so much. But this shows IT CAN BE DONE.

As both Mandrake and YDL base on Red Hat, the question is: does Red Had suck?
Should Yellow Dog not turn to another base? Considering that Ununtu is fairly
new and should only get better - and is and seems to want to remain free as a
free beer - YDL is going to have some problems.

Note that I did not try ubuntu on other hardware, so I possibly simly had
luck...

Thierry

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein