Does Red Hack suck?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 20:30:43 MST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:51:36 -0800, R. McFarlane
<ydl at mcfarlanecomputing.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
>          How about older Apple hardware? I have three PB 3400c's and I will
> be upgrading to a Pismo as soon as I can and I need to have Linux! I know
> the Pismo can run 10, but if I am going to run 10 I will get a new Apple. I
> prefer Linux and I prefer Apples but I need to know for sure that the
> distro I use will work! I originally ran LinuxPPC on my first iMac 333 but
> that distro died. I have used YDL on my beige MT G3 and my 3400c's but in

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the listers...

My Pismo/400 (512 MB of RAM) does a _great_ job of running OS X
10.3.6! It's zippy, _ultra_ stable (last kernel panic was probably end
of last year... unlike YDL which seems to have a profound dislike for
FireFox and Mozilla at times (total freeze up, often on
drag-and-drop)) and has an incredible range of software (proprietary
and OSS) available to it (far more and higher-quality choice in some
arenas than Linux on PPC (e.g. browsers)).

Plus, you can dual-boot if you desire. I'm tempted to put YDL on the
Pismo just to see what a faster CPU & more RAM & VRAM would do with it
(vs. my 266 MHz G3 Beige desktop with 128 MB RAM & 2 MB of VRAM) (of
course, the Pismo is my work horse so I'm loath to mess with a machine
that works _flawlessly_... power & stability of *NIX, ability to run
M$ Excel (necessary for my work... I need VB for Applications), and is
free of .config file headaches!!!).

Eric.