Does Red Hack suck?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:57:06 MST 2004

I did manage to get it @ 19 K/sec (damned slow compared to what my
connection can do). It took all night I'm sure (8.8 hours according to
back-of-envelope calculations) but in the end it did download. I found
BitTorrent to be lacklustre in its performance (13 MB over the same
time as it took to FTP the .iso).

(I know nothing about BitTorrent... this was my first time trying it)
How would a BitTorrent like that work? i.e. one where you d/l a file
(.torrent) from a server, open it in BitTorrent and let it go.
Shouldn't the file server that hosts the .iso where the .torrent file
came from also be providing the "torrent" (otherwise, how would you
start and perpetuate a torrent?)?

Eric.