Does Red Hack Suck?

Christopher Brown christopher at soundtorrent.com
Tue Nov 9 13:18:05 MST 2004

> Hi there,
> 	I have been following this thread with some interest and I had to put
> my two cents worth in.
> 	I was looking forward to YDL 4 as a way of upgrading my old iMac dvse
> with mixed feelings. I remember the fun of configuring 3.0, video
> drivers and sound problems, let alone just trying to download three good
> iso images in the first place and we wont mention that first yum
> update...Arrrrgh
> 	A few weeks ago a friend recommended I try Ubuntu...What the hey. I
> have been using it now for about three weeks and for my needs on an
> aging G3 Ubuntu is more than adequate.  It works sound and all, with the
> ati video driver all working seamlessly. This from a single cd iso and
> mirror sites that  makes terrasoft ftp look very tired. The installer is
> not anaconda, it is different, seems pretty much idiot proof and
> designed with the complete newbie novice in mind.
> 	One criticism that can be made of all red hat variants is that whilst
> complete, they are a bit bloated. Conversely Ubuntu is pretty bare bones
> but the apt archive that synaptic points too seems to have every thing I
> have needed to set my machine up. I think I might be satisfied.
> --
> Philip Noon <philip at hereweare.org>

Almost my same experience with Ubuntu. I also think YDL is completely
bloated. 3/4 of what comes with YDL is just garbage. Half of that doesn't
even work. Ubuntu on the other hand is pretty slimmed down. Just the basics
and everything works.

Install was a breeze. Probably only the newbiest of the newbs would have
even a small problem. Video worked and worked well. Sound works great. I've
yet to find a real significant problem.

I don't want to down-play the hard work that I'm sure the YDL team has
done, but really, my YDL 4 discs are being shipped to me right now and when
they arrive they may just end up on my bookshelf for another time. All I
want is a real alternative to Mac or Win. Not new problems to replace the
old ones.

Though it is my own fault for not reading these lists before I placed my
order, I find it a little Microsoft/Apple-like of YDL to send a defective
distro out the door. A LOT of people use Apple PowerBooks here it seems.
I can't imagine not including the caveat of not having sound support for
these machines on their website. Especially when the "features" include
Rhythmbox and their website says things like "Time to bring your G5 Power
Mac, G4 iBook and PowerBook, and USB-G3 to life!".

Hey Kai! Life is pretty shitty without sound! I know you're busy with the
government right now so I'm willing to cut you some slack. But 4.1 has
sound or you have 1 less customer.

Just my experience. I don't mean to rant, it's just the buyers remorse
talking.

Christopher