Sharing YLD Linux v4.0 Rc3

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 06:01:29 MST 2004

No, you cannot re-distribute it (even if it were allowed, it wouldn't
be very nice since you'd be robbing YDL of potential $$$... and, if
they don't get $$$ WE don't get YDL, even if it's a free download a
few weeks after it's released to paying customers). As was discussed
in the huge long thread (for non-Gmail users... hint, hint) on "Red
Hat sucks" (or something like that):

What is "free" under the GNU licence is the source code. Binaries are
not (necessarily) free. Since YDL charges for the enhanced account and
only provides the RC to account holders your friend is completely
bound by whatever licencing terms are in effect (PROBABLY he can only
install it on one machine, or at the most, his own machines).

That said, this is all well within the OSS/free software spirit. What
needs to be free under this philosophy is the SOURCE so that you are
free to investigate and make changes as needed, and are not bound to
an external master for bug fixes/upgrades/etc. This also has the added
benefit of allowing companies (like YDL, Mandrake, etc) to  make money
off the OSS paradigm whilst giving back to the community that has so
graciously provided them with the source code (YDL provides Mac users
with a package that installs GNU/Linux on our Macs without having to
know _anything_ about programming, compiling, editing of config files,
etc). It still amazes me that they provide _FREE_ binaries (ISOs) for
people to download at no cost.

Eric.