Ubuntu 4.10

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Thu Nov 11 09:39:39 MST 2004

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Is a package manager something that'll d/l and install an
> app/something from source?

No, a package manager is a program that keeps track of which file gets
installed where when you install a program, and which files of other
packages are required for your program to work correctly.

That way, it can warn you if you try to overwrite files that were
installed by other packages, or warn you if you try to delete a package
that is required by another program.

MS Windows lacks such a package manager, which is the main cause of the
famous "dll hell" on that operating system.

There are two major package systems: apt (debian's package manager), and
rpm (redhat's package manager). There are others, like the package
management system of Gentoo (emerge ?), or the various BSD systems
(ports ?), but I don't know much about those.

Where you are getting confused is that rpm a few years ago was both a
package manager, capable of what I described above, AND a tool to build
packages from source, which could then be installed.

More recently, rpm has been split up into rpm and rpmbuild, to
distinguish more clearly between the two functions.

Cheers,

Geert Jan