Sound on PowerBooks

Christopher Brown christopher at soundtorrent.com
Fri Nov 12 10:47:01 MST 2004

--On Friday, November 12, 2004 2:18:39 AM PST -0800 Ron Smith
<ronsmith at ydl.net> wrote:

> I just installed 4.0 on my TiBook and sound works... Sound was flaky
> under 3.0.1 and it still has the same problems in 4.0 (namely
> controlling the volume is unpredictable).

It seems to me that a lot of things work on the TiBooks and not on the
AlBooks. Including the previous 3.0.1 install discs themselves (Anaconda
problem I think). I had to get a set of burned CD-R's from YDL just to do
that. A friend of mine has a Ti as well and his install went great and most
everything works. Conversely my install[AlBook] (just had to make sure the
v4 sound issues were true) was disappointing, as was expected. No video
straight out of the install. Sound output worked for me under 3.0.1, for
that matter so did video. A few months ago I solicited help here for
Audacity and a fellow with a Ti book tried to help. Same story, his could
compile and make and run, but my AlBook couldn't get Audacity to recognize
the input source. The sound issue seems to me to be pretty specific to the
Aluminum books. I notice that when some people have issues with sound they
are typically Aluminum book users. And when people have "solutions" they
are typically a Ti book user.

Christopher