YDL 3.0 (Sirius), PB Wallstreet and USB FlashDrive 2.0

Rouven Obst rouvenobst at gmx.de
Mon Nov 15 10:48:26 MST 2004

Hello,

i have just bought a simple FlashDrive 2.0 w. 128 MB (no brand named on the
package). I am wondering why this will not work out. I run YDL 3.0 (Sirius)
on my PowerBook Wallstrett together with a USB CardBus (my printer/scanner
works great, after some finetuning, thanks Ray!). Do there exist FlashDrives
that will not work with Linux? Did i forget some important steps running a
FlashDrive? I ran `modprobe usb-storage´ and after this i plugged my stick
into my USB CardBus. This is what was registered in `var/log/messages´:

Nov 15 17:44:03 localhost kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
Nov 15 17:44:03 localhost kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
Nov 15 17:44:03 localhost kernel: USB Mass Storage support registered.
Nov 15 17:47:14 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 06:00.2-3, assigned
address 10
Nov 15 17:47:14 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up
(error=-71)
Nov 15 17:47:15 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 06:00.2-3, assigned
address 11
Nov 15 17:47:15 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up
(error=-71)

Every time i plugged my USB the same message (even from startup). In the
Control Center of KDE (devision: USB-Devices) i find my PCI-Device (USB
CardBus) registered with USB 2.0, but the two ports are run with USB 1.16 it
says. Could this be a problem? Has anyone experiences with this kind of
trouble?

Thanks a lot for Your attention!

Rouven Obst

rouvenobst at gmx.de