Left behind by YDL?

Steven J. Norton sjnorton at okno.com
Tue Nov 16 20:20:19 MST 2004

Hello, all:

This may be more of a newbie question, but here goes: what should those of
us who are using YDL 3.01 in a production environment, on Old World
(non-USB) hardware, do? What chance that we can continue to get updated
versions of key server software (Apache, MySQL, etc., for instance), or will
the version of YDL not matter for this? [Having already been through quite a
struggle, albeit a successful one with help from this list, to build an rpm
package for version 4 of MySQL, I'm not in a hurry to keep doing this.]

While I have enjoyed learning my way around Linux and YDL in particular, I'm
not really a hobbyist and I don't use Linux for my workstation. I mainly
wanted to build a fully functional (standards-based) and reasonably secure
internet server with available (i.e. old) Apple hardware. And I do *not* get
paid for the time I spend building and maintaining my own server. There is
no question that building and having my own server has given me an edge in
my work for clients, but it is part of the "infrastructure" rather than what
I do for a living. Am I in the wrong ball game? If new server hardware is in
my future, my temptation would be to run Mac OSX server. What's the case to
be made for and against?

Lots of big questions, I know, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

  -- Steve Norton