YDL 4.0 Install issues...

Henry A. Leinhos henry at leinhos.com
Wed Nov 17 06:44:28 MST 2004

Hi all,

I've got a 466MHz G4 (Digital Audio, 5-slot) with an ATI 128 AGP 4x video
card and an Apple 15inch LCD Studio Display (with ADP interface).  I
recently tried to install YDL4 on the first (13 GB) HD in the system, and
got hung during the "loader" stage (e.g. the sytem booted, got all the way
to the installer, and then seemed to stall -- no kernel panic or anything).
Just for grins, I disconnected the LCD and plugged in a VGA monitor and
guess what?  It installed (mostly) fine.  There were some funky colors in
anaconda, but doing a custom install with everything seemed to do fine.

Ok, so now I try to boot with the ADP LCD display and the system boots fine,
but stalls when checking the USB. The Studio display is a HID-monitor as
well as a USB Hub, so I suspect some issue with the HID-monitor part.  Has
anyone got an Apple ADP-LCD display to work with YDL4?  BTW, YDL3.x worked
fine with this machine.

Other issues:

1. The internal modem only connects at 9600 bps (it worked fine with
YDL3.1).
2. I can't seem to configure a usb (ACM) modem.  where do I find it now
under 2.6 kernels?  The Network Config app gives an option something like
/dev/input/ttyACM0, or something close, but that doesn't work. (The kernel
recognizes the modem ok, however).
3. I can't seem to talk to my usb scanner, either.  There don't seem to be
any scanner modules compiled for the stock kernel.  Anyone using a scanner
with YDL4?

I'm sure the list will get longer with time...

Henry