Powerbook won't boot cd

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 21 16:05:50 MST 2004

Felix Jodoin wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> Hi,
> I just got the YDL 4 isos off the torrent and burned them, but on my
> Powerbook Pismo it doesn't want to boot. Well, in detail, the drive
> takes about 15 seconds for the disc to mount (it reads CDs/DVDs) and if
> you hold down the cd key the gray (with all the little marks) screen
> appears as it normally does, but the disc doesn't spin up in time and
> it passes through to mac os x. I did not have this problem with the
> ordered version of 3.0, but I don't think It's my media.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions (or how to get Open firmware to boot
> off a cd by force) or solutions?
> Thanks in advace,

I've always had lots of problems booting off of burnt CD's with my pismo.
The best results I've had were burning them using a DVD burner at DVD
speed 1x (CD 4x).

For some reason MacOS CDs (8,5, 9.1) were ok, but Linux and UNIX (MacOS X)
failed.

Try burning them at the lowest possible speed your burner will go.

A good rule of thumb is never burn anything faster than the drive you
want to read it on.

Geoff.
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem Israel gsm at mendelson.com
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
I may be an old fart, but I'm a high-tech, up to date old fart. :-)