i just install ydl 4

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 18:39:55 MST 2004

> > 1- No GUI package installer

VBG (very big deal). Me Mac user at heart. Me no like waste time
fiddling if no have to. Me like fiddling on fun stuff (well, to some,
waiting is fun).

> > 2- XMMS is not included

Me no understand. Me no care either way.

> > You provided us with some negative opinions now I will destroy them
> > two:
> >
> > 1- You qualify Synaptic as >the easiest way to install you app>. It
> > really is just a GUI front-end for apt. It work like this: Open
> > Synaptic, browse a tedious list of app, select it then click
> > 'install'
> > (that will actually run apt in background) button?
> > With yum: <yum install app> Thats it, thats all.

I've been experimenting with Synaptic and, damn, it's good! (Terrasoft
could do a lot worse than figure out how to get it working/borrow the
idea in YDL)

There are a variety of ways to view the packages: e.g. by package
installed/uninstalled/installed & upgradeable; different types (e.g.
internet vs. productivity vs. ...); _everything flat-file version_.
And, of course, my favourite (which is damned near impossible with
yum), FIND a package OR a number of packages in milliseconds (and
that's on a 400 MHz G3) and see the summaries of what they do
displayed IMMEDIATELY and in a list.

If I want to install Abiword (like I did) all I have to do is click on
the search button, type abi, press enter and from the resulting list
use my mouse to select the package for installation. Click "Apply" and
I'd be off to the races. Before yum would've even been done scanning
the repositories, Synaptic would've had the app INSTALLED! I also
found a number of other apps that piqued my curiosity that I also
installed... no way yum would've allowed me the freedom to browse.

CLUIs are great for very limited applications but GUIs are highly
efficient when tasks become complex and a lot of information is to be
displayed/processed by the user. That's why the OVERWHELMING majority
of users use GUIs in preference to CLUIs. There are some places where
GUIs offer little over CLUIs but they are far and few between - simple
text editors are one example as are certain types of file management.

Eric.