YDL 4.0 frequency scaling

Andrew Zschetzsche zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu
Wed Nov 24 11:29:57 MST 2004

I installed YDL 4.0 as soon as I could after it came out on the
torrents, and man does it rock!

I had to fiddle with X to get it to work right, and then I compiled
Firefox 1.0 from source, and then I upgraded to a stock 2.6.9 kernel,
upon which I applied Ben H's iBook sleep kernel patch.  Whoohoo!

Now I'm onto processor scaling.  I was looking at /proc/cpuinfo after I
unplugged my battery, and it was still saying I was running at 1.2 ghz.
So hunting for options, I recompiled the kernel, this time making sure
to set the frequency governor default to "userspace", and not
"performance".  After the restart in the new kernel, now I'm stuck at
599Mhz, even when plugged in.

Due to advice on the sleep patch's mailinglist thread, I disabled pmud,
leaving pbbuttonsd to do the job (like it's website says it can do), but
that doesn't change anything.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to configure anything to make it work
(or even change the cpufreq by hand)?? Or does it not even work? I'm
running an 14" iBook G4 rev. 2.2, 1.2Ghz, 7447A processor.

I'm a student, so it's important that my iBook be as portable as it can
be.

Thanks,
Andy Zschetzsche

--
Andrew Zschetzsche
University of Minnesota, Morris
zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu
aim: zsche004
msn: zsche004 at mrs.umn.edu

America's Best Public Liberal Arts College.

--The best answer to a problem with multiple solutions is often the
simplest one.