YDL 4 on Beige G3 ?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 08:46:29 MST 2004

I'll add a me to to the question (of course, I haven't even tried).

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:48:06 +0100, Geert Janssens
<geert.janssens3 at pandora.be> wrote:
> Has anyone already had success setting up YDL 4 on an oldworld machine
> using BootX ?

IIRC People _have_ gotten YDL4 to work on OldWorld machines, and I
believe one or two of them may have posted the procedure somewhere
(not here, otherwise I would've kept & flagged it ;-).

> On the other hand, the Ubuntu kernels are also version 2.6.8, and I can
> boot those. Would there be an option omitted in the YDL kernel
> configuration that make I can't boot it ? BTW, the MacOS 9 partition is
> hfs+, although this hasn't mattered until now as all other kernels I
> used work just fine.
>
> Any suggestions ?

I was going to suggest that you give Ubuntu a try if you wanted to use
the newer softwares but it seems you already did that :)

Others, please correct me if I'm wrong: I'm getting the feeling that
YDL 4 isn't working that smoothly on a lot of hardware. At the moment
I've got a nicely functioning YDL 3.0.1-based server on a G3 that's
working without too many hitches.

The one problem I do have is that I cannot get Windows NT to connect
to the WebDAV (in Apache 2.0/httpd) server under YDL 3.0.1 BUT I can
connect to the same WebDAV server from a remote OS X 10.3 machine
(Finder).

To make things even more quirky, if I switch to using OS X 10.3 as the
WebDAV server (Apache 1.3) I _CAN_ connect using the Windows NT
server, so there's something that's changed between Apache 1.3 and
Apache 2.0 that prevents Win NT from connecting (extra security added
on connection?)....

My solution (when I know I want to transfer files from
home-to-work-to-home) is to leave my OS X 10.3 machine on and change
port :80 forwarding to that machine instead of the YDL server (that
shuts wdown webserver but what can you do ;) (I suppose I could
install Apache 1.3 on YDL 3 but the comments on the web sugges that's
quite an involved process).

Eric.