YDL 4 on Beige G3 ?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 09:16:43 MST 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:05:17 +0100, Eddie Bindt <eddieb at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Eric, Geert and others ...
>
> DONT hit me for bringing the BAD news ...

Smack. Je hoevde het ons toch niet te vertellen :-)

> As you could (??) have read on the YDL website, YDL4 is NOT supported
> on OldWorld machines ,,,,

What I remember was them saying that YDL 4 is not *officially*
supported by TerraSoft. They did say that it ought to work on OldWorld
machines.

> Saying this, I am very sorry to be the one to tell this list...
> The kernel shipped on the YDL4 CD's misses a patch from benh that
> allows this kernel to work on OW (OF-1.0.5) machines .... (the patch is
> in kernel-2.6.9-rc2 ....)

Very good to know!

> YDL did NOT do that on purpose, we just discovered it after the CDs
> where burned ...

It'd always be possible to post an "updated" ISO 4.0.1 on-line.

> I build one for ANS and also for all other OldWorld machine which
> contains the missing patch.

Thank you, and I'm sure there will be lots of people who appreciate the effort.

> you can find this kernel at  :
> http://www.shiner.info/?files/Yellow%20Dog%20Linux%204/kernel/
>
> People where asking for upgrade instructions :
> http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html
>
> adept this to whatever oldworld machine you have, we did it on a
> 8500/9600/ANS ...
>
> Xander wrote a little howto on a fresh install
> http://www.shiner.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37
> where he installed on an 7300/200 ...

Very, very good to know.

Perhaps this is something that should be a HowTo at TerraSoft. Even
though they don't officially support OldWorld machines, there's no
reason they can't provide users with the resources to make it work
(with the caveat: TerraSoft does not provide support for questions
related to OldWorld machines... go to ... yadididida for more help).

Dank u wel voor de informatie.

Sincerely, Eric.