YDL 4 on Beige G3 ?

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Sun Nov 28 11:06:42 MST 2004

Eddie Bindt wrote:
> Eric, Geert and others ...
>

> DONT hit me for bringing the BAD news ...
>
> As you could (??) have read on the YDL website, YDL4 is NOT supported on
> OldWorld machines ,,,,

This I was aware of. But I was willing to try to install an unsupported
system, as I imagined the problems would only be booting. I wasn't aware
of the missing kernel patch though.

> That means, you NEED an other kernel to boot and install YDL4 on your
> OldWorld machine
>
> I build one for ANS and also for all other OldWorld machine which
> contains the missing patch.
>
> you can find this kernel at  :
> http://www.shiner.info/?files/Yellow%20Dog%20Linux%204/kernel/
>
> People where asking for upgrade instructions :
> http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html
>
> adept this to whatever oldworld machine you have, we did it on a
> 8500/9600/ANS ...
>
> Xander wrote a little howto on a fresh install
> http://www.shiner.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37
> where he installed on an 7300/200 ...
>
> besides this, some types of machine will allways give trouble ...
> Help the community out and publish what you did,
> Come over to irc (irc.freenode.net #yellowdog) to help us out ...
>
> Installing might not be easy, after that, it runs great !!!

Thank you for this information and the available kernel. I will try next
week to install it, and report back on success/failure.

Cheers,

Geert Jan