YDL 4 on Beige G3 ?

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Sun Nov 28 11:19:07 MST 2004

Jim Ricken wrote:
> Geert Janssens wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone already had success setting up YDL 4 on an oldworld machine
>> using BootX ?
>>
>> (I never had any luck either,I think us old world people are just out
>> of luck getting Ydl 4.0 to work.
>>

>> On the other hand, the Ubuntu kernels are also version 2.6.8, and I
>> can boot those. Would there be an option omitted in the YDL kernel
>> configuration that make I can't boot it ? BTW, the MacOS 9 partition
>> is hfs+, although this hasn't mattered until now as all other kernels
>> I used work just fine.
>>

>> How did you boot Unbuntu? I could not get it to boot either.

It's a two step proces, which I could only perform because I didn't
throw away my YDL installation. There is a message on the ubuntu mailing
list somewhere though about someone who explains how to do it cleanly.

I did the following:

- Copy <cdroot>/install/powerpc/vmlinux and initrd.gz to your macos
partition
- Upon next boot, use the copied vmlinux and initrd.gz in BootX to boot.
- With this, you should be able to perform a complete installation.
- Upon reboot, first boot into YDL, and mount the the boot partition of
Ubuntu somewhere, copy the kernel AND another initrd.gz to macos, and
use these to boot next time into Ubuntu. The trick here is that Ubuntu
always uses an initrd to boot, not only to install.

For the one step procedure, check the Ubuntu mailing list.

Cheers,

Geert Jan