compiling mol, LyX etc

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 1 18:07:36 MDT 2004

Well, it's working 99% now on my Beige G3/266 128 MB RAM (according to OS X
96 MB ;-). I figured out that I had to modify the /etc/mol/mol.macos and
/mol.osx files to point to /dev/hdc6 (my IDE HD and partition for OS X/9).

I couldn't get OS 9 (can't find a bootable disk) to boot but OS X is working
just fine ;P (as I type this from within Safari within MOL 0.90.69 within
YDL 3.0.1 running a SMP kernel). Bizarre! Perhaps it has something to do
with the fact that I have 9 and X on the same partition? Anyway, I'm not
about to fiddle with OS 9 by re-installing it inside MOL (as is suggested by
startmol when I run it) since OS 9 is what keeps Linux afloat (come to think
of it I probably should've had 3 partitions in the first 8 GB. 1. OS 9 for
YDL only, 2. OS 9 for other stuff (can't say I ever run OS 9 though), and 3.
OS X 10.2).

Questions for the Linux geniuses out there:

1. How do create a GNOME/KDE double-clickable file that contains
startmol -x
I seem to recall from waaaay back when (mach days) that I simply create a
file with that line in it and make it executable with chmod to run it from a
CLUI. Does the same apply to the GUI? (GNOME) Guess I'll go find out :)

2. Does anyone think that running the SMP kernel (the one that ships with
3.0.1) will cause me grief? It's working so far but who knows with this
beast called Linux (though, it's a lot of fun wrestling with LInux).

Thanks for all your help, Eric.

>From: "Eric D" <hideme666 at hotmail.com>
>To: yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>Subject: RE: compiling mol, LyX etc
>Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:47:55 -0400
>
>Hi, I was just lazy and used the in-built version that came with
>YellowDogLinux 3.0.1. This afternoon I had an epiphany and realised that I
>was doing things the hard way.
>
>I was going to try to rebuild MOL (which I probably should learn how to do
>anyway since I'd like to become more skilled at using Linux) to have
>mol-kmod match the kernel (vmlinux-2.4.22-2f).
>
>What I did instead was match the kernel to the existing mol-kmod ;) (i.e.
>the one that ships with YDL 3.0.1). I took the 'vmlinux-2.4.22-2fsmp' file
>from /boot/ and e-mailed it to myself and installed it into System
>Folder:Linux kernels (I think that's the folder name) and booted it (this
>is on an Old Wolrd machine... on a New World machine you'd have to fiddle
>with ybin but you sound like you're pretty experienced).
>
>PS I saw something out there that said that running a SMP kernel on a
>single processor machine was no different from running a single-processor
>kernel.
>
>Anyway, the outcome of this is that I've "sort of" got it working on my
>machine. I can run startmol but now it's telling me that I should
>re-install OS 9 because it's an Old World machine (& the OS X can't find a
>bootable /hdx). Time to troubleshoot!
>
>Eric.
>
>PSS Aan de Nederlanders en Belgen op deze lijsten -- halo en dank jullie
>wel voor jullie hulp.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.