MOL: summer of 68, 69 or 70

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 3 05:56:37 MDT 2004

Alright, since my English is quite a bit better than my Dutch here goes...

What has happened is that you updated your kernel from 2.4.22-2f to the
2.4.22-2g kernel (possibly by running yum update or yum update kernel). A
kernel is the most basic piece of software on your computer. It handles the
task of gettting the computer up-and-running and basic input/output.

MOL 0.90.68 has its mol-kmods compiled for a different and older (pre-3.0.1)
kernel (why it would be in the 3.0.1 updates is beyond me!).

MOL 0.90.69 (the one that comes with YDL) has its mol-kmod compiled for the
SMP version of the kernel that ships with YDL, but YDL normally uses the
single processor version of the kernel. This can be changed (as I found
out).

MOL 0.90.70 doesn't have pre-compiled mol-kmod, you _have_ to compile it
yourself no matter what!

In all three cases you can choose to re-compile (or compile) the mol-kmod
files to have the mol-kmod file match the kernel version on your computer.
Like I said before, you can find info on how to do this earlier in the week
in this forum, at the URL that you originally pointed to, and at
www.maconlinux.com mailing list archives for August (view the archives by
Thread).

In one case (MOL 0.90.69) you can simply do a switch of the kernel, rather
than fiddling with the kmods. I swapped the 2.4.22-2f kernel for
2.4.22-2fSMP and my computer's perfectly happy _and_ MOL 0.90.69 works like
a charm. I found the 2.4.22-f2SMP kernel in the /boot directory.

SInce I have to use OS 9 as my helper OS (for the OldWorld bootloader... if
you're using ybin on a NewWorld machine there will be different instructions
on how to replace a kernel) I took the vmlinuxBLAHBLAHBLAH2.4.22-2fSMP file,
mailed it to myself (using GMail or Yahoo mail), booted in OS 9, d/l the
file, moved it into System Folder:Linux Kernels (or something like that),
and selected it as my kernel to use in XBoot, clicked Save and clicked
Linux.

MOL ran for me once I got the configuration files working properly!

As for having 0.90.68 intalled. If you can't get mol-kmod recompiled, I
discovered you can re-install 0.90.69 from CD. The 3rd CD contains the rpm
for mol! Do a yum remove mol (and yum remove mol-kmods if necessary), then
rpm -i mol installer file name

I copied the installer to my desktop but I imagine you can run it from CD by
going to /dev/cd or something like that (can you tell I'm a newbie ;).

As for you running kernel version 2.4.22-2g, I don't know how to downgrade
to 2.4.22-2f (well, a reinstall would accomplish that (and probably be
quicker than figuring out how to recompile mol-kmods)). Your only solution
now is to get mol-kmods recompiled (or downgrade to 2.4.22-2f and switch it
with 2.4.22-2fSMP and install mol 0.90.69 from CD)

Eric.

>From: <markov at tele2.be>
>To: yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
>Subject: MOL: summer of 68, 69 or 70
>Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:55:08 +0200
>
>I simply deleteed mol within synaptic (graphical installer ...) and did
>a yum install yum again....
>
>It simply chose to fetch mol 0.68...
>I thought, well that 'll match, but I still have the same probs.
>
>So why is somebody putting the mol070 rpm  version and not
>the mol kmods070??
>
>Look:
>startmol -a --loadonly
>Mac-on-Linux 0.9.68 Copyright (C) 1997-2003 Samuel Rydh
>Starting MOL session 0
>    /usr/lib/mol/0.9.68/modules/2.4.20-8e/mol.o
>Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
>         /usr/lib/mol/0.9.68/modules/2.4.20-8e/mol.o was compiled for
>kernel version 2.4.20-8e
>         while this kernel is version 2.4.22-2g
>/usr/lib/mol/0.9.68/modules/2.4.20-8e/mol.o: unresolved symbol
>force_sig_R33f8a167
>/usr/lib/mol/0.9.68/modules/2.4.20-8e/mol.o: unresolved symbol
>mem_map_R4371e3c8
>/usr/lib/mol/0.9.68/modules/2.4.20-8e/mol.o: unresolved symbol
>find_vma_R29b32993
>   Failed to load the module - try recompiling the MOL kernel
>   module. Instructions (and information about common problems)
>   are available at <http://www.maconlinux.org>.
>
>So, if I had kernel 2.4.22-2g, it would run... Where is it??
>
>Marc

SmartScreen Technology.
first two months FREE*.