AppleTalk on Linux

Eric D hideme666 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 05:29:27 MDT 2004

>From: "R. McFarlane" <ydl at mcfarlanecomputing.net>
>Subject: Re: AppleTalk on Linux
>Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 18:58:23 -0700
>
>At 06:26 PM 10/4/2004, Eric D, had this to say :
>
>>Wow. Getting AppleTalk running on Linux was as easy as 1-2-3. I would've
>>had more headaches getting FileSharing going on an OS 9 Mac!
>
>         What? You've had a hard time turning on file sharing and then
>setting the hard drive to be shared? Two steps in MacOS 9. :)

Setting permissions, turning on FS, creating user accounts... (not to
mention the obligatory crashes that come with OS 9).

>>Once you've turned on WebMin there's absolutely no need whatsoever to
>>physically come into contact with the computer, _ever_ (provided you want
>>to run it as a server and it doesn't "panic"). Well, I suppose if you know
>>linux inside out the same would apply... but, I'm lazy so I'll go the
>>WebMin route!
>
>         Best to know how to ssh though. It's a lot easier to carry around
>ssh clients than web browsers. :)

However, if a computer does have internet access it will INEVITABLY have a
web browser. I imagine the only internet enabled computers that don't have a
browser on them will be servers.

Besides, WebMin includes a SSH web interface... (though, it's complaining
about access rights... haven't bothered figuring it out).

Plus, most people don't look kindly on new apps being installed on their
computers and institutions rarely allow users to install apps ;P

Eric.

Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special
stationery, fonts and colors.
first two months FREE*.