Repair - Reinstall - Restore

Olaf Olson oolson at hadleyconnection.com
Thu Oct 7 09:45:57 MDT 2004

As I often do, I read each and every piece of advice given, including
the VERY tempting "Yank the plug". Then I tried something else.

I  put in the install CD, booted to it, went through the install
process. When I got to the partition section, I chose manual partition
and then just chose to mount all of the partitions, except root, just as
they were. Of course, I got warnings about how dreadful an idea that was
and warnings about how the thing may not work correctly, but... what the
heck? I would only have to reinstall everything if it failed, anyway, right?

After beginning to copy the image to my hard drive, so it could begin
the install, the installer told me that there wasn't enough disk space
to create the image and begin the install. OK. so I went back and
started again; once you click OK on the partition scheme, you can't back
up and set a new one. The second pass, I chose to delete a large
partition, /home, where I didn't have much going on anyway. The
installer used that for my temporary image space and installed.

It's up. It's working. User home directories were on /usr, which was not
erased, so all I had to do was create accounts that had the same name
and id number. I have had to reinstall a couple of applications, like
webmin (what a prize!) and firefox/thunderbird. I also had to get
freshrpms back in my yum.conf and a few other little things like that,
but all in all, I am surprised and pleased with the result!

When I install YDL4, I am going to leave some blank, unused disk space,
so I can do this procedure again, without having to delete anything to
reinstall missing.

Oh yeah, would I recommend doing this procedure at home? Only out of
sheer desperation. I really think that a professional would use another
procedure, like making an actual backup, then restoring it when a
miserable thing like this occurs, creating an emergency shutdown
procedure for when power vanishes. getting a bigger UPS, etc. That is,
of course, next on my list!

Thanks for the advice!

Olaf