Headless YellowDog

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 15:42:11 MDT 2004

Wow! That was easy! (once I saw the thing about running vncpasswd and
figured out that it was a web server so it required a specific port)

Anyway, for anyone who stumbles across this thread (or is reading this
thread now).

I got vncserver working in YellowDogLinux after having done nothing special.

It was already pre-installed by YDL 3.0.1. I ran vncpasswd to set the
password for (what, I'm not sure yet, I just ran it) the login from
VNCThing (Mac client). Then I ran vncserver (obviously this is all
happening in the terminal) and noticed that it was directed to :1
(port 1). I presume that I can set that port as was mentioned in
another (very recent - today) post and set the vncserver to activate
on boot (as was mentioned).

PS It's remarkably fast browsing the web with YDL FireFox on my OS X
PB G3/400 and that's with the YDL vncserver (running FireFox) being on
a Beige G3/266 (a 10 BaseT machine) and the laptop connecting via
Airport (not extreme). Now to figure out how to set up the vncserver
so that users don't automagically login using the username that ran
vncserver and how to get alt-tab to work on the Mac-side of things in
VNCThing...

So, anyway, this is what it looked like when I ran it. I substituted
my  192.168.x.x IP for localhost.localdomain and appended :1 when i
logged in with VNCThing.

[bob at localhost bob]$ vncserver

New 'X' desktop is localhost.localdomain:1

Creating default startup script /home/bob/.vnc/xstartup
Starting applications specified in /home/bob/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/bob/.vnc/localhost.localdomain:1.log

[bob at localhost bob]$ ps -fe|grep vnc
bob  2036     1  2 17:10 pts/1    00:00:01 Xvnc :1 -desktop X -httpd /usr/s
bob  2114  1980  0 17:10 pts/1    00:00:00 grep vnc