Headless YellowDog

Jim Bauer jfbauer at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 17:53:11 MDT 2004

On Thursday 07 October 2004 16:38, Longman, Bill wrote:
> >          Is it possible though, using VNC to run X and then
> > connect to that
> > X display? From all that I have seen and tried, running X
> > from console is a
> > different session than from running VNCserver from console.
> >          Please tell me what I am missing, if I am.
>
> Well, I'm not sure I understand your question.
>
> You are correct that the VNC server's X session is a completely different X
> session than the console's (or any other X session on that machine). If you
> want to VNC into the *console's* X session, you'll have to ask someone
> else, because I don't know how to do that. But you can do it because the
> KDE and the latest GNOME let you do the "remote desktop" thing and it uses
> VNC services to do that. Google around for remote desktop. Look at
> kurd.sourceforge.net, too.

You can configure the X server to be a vncserver as well assuming a recent
enough version of VNC is installed.  I did it recently on a redhat 7.3 & 8.0
box (x86) with vnc-4.0-1 from realvnc.com.

In your /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 config file (which ever
is being used) put

	Load "vnc"

in the 'Section "Module"' section.  And put

	Option "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

in the section for your screen.  Make sure you ran vncpasswd as root once and
then restart X and you should be able to connect to it from another system
via

	vncviewer remote_system:0

Be carefull not to run vncviewer from the display you want to view.