Remote X sessions or VNC (was:Re: Headless YellowDog)

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Mon Oct 11 11:18:11 MDT 2004

Back to VNC with another series of questions:
 >> Next point: I would like to display the VNC session on my YDL box in
 >> a separate console (or virtual terminal?), like MOL can be run in a
 >> separate console. I haven't managed that just yet. I only can have a
 >> window in my existing X session on my YDL box. What magic should be
 >> performed here ?
 >
 > VNC sessions always run their own X session. But your question here
 > seems to me to ask, "How do you get access to the VNC server's X
 > session from the console?"

1. This goes a bit to fast for me. Apparently, I'm quite confused about
"console" and "virtual terminal". Maybe you can give some clarification
on this first ?

2. Then the part about VNC sessions and their own X session: my
experience here seems to contradict this. Let me explain.
My setup is:
aragorn: server machine in the basement, with an active KDE session on
vt7, in this session, I have started a program called x0rfbserver (which
gets started by the mandrake's menu option "Virtual Network Connection).
On g3ydl, I have an active KDE session on vt7 in which I start YDL's
Remote Desktop Connection. The window I get, is the exact screen of the
system in the basement, and when I move the mouse, or type something,
the exact same movements and keys strokes are seen on the screen in the
basement. So it seems to me the same X session is shared in this case.
My guess is we're talking about different vnc servers. Is x0rfbserver
something particular ?

In any case, this setup is not what I want, since it forces me to first
start a kde session sitting in front of my aragorn box in the basement,
starting the Virtual Network Connection menu item, and when this one
crashes (happens consistently if I dare to use the scroll wheel in the
vnc client on g3ydl) I have to go to the basement again...

3. So my curiosity goes out to vncserver you are referring to. Is this
TightVNCserver (the only one I found in my Mandrake setup) ?

 > Well, you can't if you're just using
 > "vncserver", but if you just start up another X session on the console
 > that uses the VNC module, you'll be able to do it. Then you'd just VNC
 > to foomachine:1 instead of foomachine:0.4.

4. "Another X session that uses the VNC module"... Do you mean then, as
in your faq, that on the local machine, I type 'X :1' to get a new X
session on VT8 ? And next, I don't understand about the VNC module part.

5. In the last sentence, how can I tell the vncviewer to use display
foomachine:1, instead of foomachine:0.4? Is this by starting vncviewer
on the command line,after having set the DISPLAY variable ?

Forgive me, if all of these questions seem hopelessly obvious to you. My
experience with limited to the GUI wrappers that YDL and Mandrake
provide. And those, of course, don't help at all in undertanding what
goes on under the hood.

6. Finally, is there some good reference documentation available for VNC
? That way once I got started, I don't have to overload the list here.

Thanks.

Geert Jan