Remote X sessions or VNC (was:Re: Headless YellowDog)

yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 11 15:55:07 MDT 2004

Subject: Re: Remote X sessions or VNC (was:Re: Headless YellowDog)

try typing xhost+ on g3ydl. that will allow x clients to connect without
error.

This is akin to "chmod 777" when you are experiencing file permission
errors. It's far safer to just add the permissions on a host basis. Again,
let's not pound the security drums too loudly. If you're running this at
home, who gives a hoot if you're using "xhost +". At work, I don't let just
any host access my X server. I have too huge a network out there to be
careful of.

Security is always an issue of tradeoffs. I'll leave it at that.

PS - In my little X startup script, I have have two hosts that I always
trust:

export DISPLAY=:0
X -screen 0 1280 1024 -clipboard &
sleep 1
xhost toblerone
xhost marzipan
xterm -ls &
ssh -f toblerone xterm -ls
ssh -f marzipan xterm -ls

I am usually always running something on those hosts, so I just fire off an
xterm to them when X starts.