Remote X sessions or VNC (was:Re: Headless YellowDog)

yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Oct 11 17:42:26 MDT 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 13:17, Geert Janssens wrote:

> 5. So all of the above to learn something more about X, which I did. Now
> I started all this as a question about VNC. But considering X can
> display a remote KDE session locally, why would I still want VNC ?
>
> This is meant as a general question. Perhaps for my purpose here, the
> remote X solution is good, but what are the (dis)advantages of remote X
> over VNC and vice versa ? In which situations would VNC be preferred or
> the only solution, and in which situations remote X ?

The advantage of VNC in this case is that you can quit and restart the viewer
many times and everything on the remote system stays running.  Plus you have
the option of running multiple viewers at once or switching where to do the
viewing from without restarting everything on the remote system.  VNC will
probably be faster over slow links or links with a large latency.  The X
protocol is rather verbose.