Rpm --rebuilddb = no yum

Joe Kallo jkallo at siu.edu
Thu Oct 14 15:07:11 MDT 2004

Hello all,

In my quest to get working, I foolishly did an "rpm --rebuilddb", and since
then any yum command fails with:

****
rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Packages: unsupported hash version: 8
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 44, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "yummain.py", line 101, in main
  File "yummain.py", line 58, in parseCmdArgs
  File "config.py", line 120, in __init__
  File "config.py", line 169, in _getsysver
  File "clientStuff.py", line 164, in openrpmdb
NameError: global name 'RpmError' is not defined

****

I have found two instances of this exact problem, with the same cause, in
the list archives, and in both cases the correspondence stopped w/o a
solution. I have tried using rpm -e to and reinstall yum, and I've installed
the newest version of of yum that will work with my stock python: 1.0.3-1.
None of this works--still get the same error. It looks like yum no longer
understand the syntax of my rpmdb.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Joe

Joseph S. Kallo, Ph.D.
Technology Coordinator
Curriculum & Instruction  MC:  4610
Southern Illinois University at Carbondale
Carbondale, Il  62901
jkallo at siu.edu