Headless YellowDog

Jim Hart jhart at bates.edu
Fri Oct 15 07:54:26 MDT 2004

I use X-Windows to do this.

1) Install XDarwin on your Mac OS X machine
(http://a4567.bates.edu/wiki/InstallXDarwin). Use the xinitrc file for
accessing remote systems.
2) Launch XDarwin
3) Open a Terminal window and enter the command:

     ssh -X <domain name or IP address of your headless system>

4) Once you have a command prompt on the headless system, enter the
command:

     startgnome

Note: I can't actually test Gnome because I didn't install it on my
headless system. I use 'startkde'. Hopefully, Gnome will work the same
way.