Headless YellowDog

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Fri Oct 15 09:46:20 MDT 2004

> Subject: Re: Headless YellowDog
>

> I use X-Windows to do this.
>
> 1) Install XDarwin on your Mac OS X machine
> (http://a4567.bates.edu/wiki/InstallXDarwin). Use the xinitrc
> file for
> accessing remote systems.
> 2) Launch XDarwin
> 3) Open a Terminal window and enter the command:
>
>      ssh -X <domain name or IP address of your headless system>
>
> 4) Once you have a command prompt on the headless system, enter the
> command:
>
>      startgnome
>
> Note: I can't actually test Gnome because I didn't install it on my
> headless system. I use 'startkde'. Hopefully, Gnome will work
> the same
> way.

This is the same thing I do, albeit on my x86 machines. The only problem I
see is that sometimes the system is looking for MIT_SHM in the X server and
mine doesn't have it. One peculiarity I've noticed is the speed difference
when tunneling through ssh. On my home network, I use "ssh -x" and I set the
display to "hostname:0" instead of using the "localhost:10". It's much
snappier and the CPU's get a bit of a break. In my office, I have two
machines that I trust and I do the same with them.