Mounting a Remote AppleShare

Jim Hart jhart at bates.edu
Fri Oct 15 15:05:56 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 20:07, R. McFarlane wrote:
> At 12:13 PM 10/8/2004, Ken Schweigert, had this to say :
>
> >After reading a previous discussion on AppleTalk, I was reminded of a
> >question that I've been wanting to ask for a while now:  how can you
> >mount an AppleTalk share that is served on another machine?  It's
> >pretty easy share the files on my YDL box, but I'd like to be able to
> >grab ones off of another machine.
>

>          IIRC it is the same as mounting any other FS. mount -t hfs
> AFP_LOCATION /mnt/USER_CREATED_DIR
>
>          You can use either the IP address or the AFP name. If you look up
> SMB mounting you will see similar information.

I tried. Here's what I got:

[jhart at A3590 mnt]$ sudo mount -t hfs a4567.bates.edu /mnt/a4567
Password:
mount: special device a4567.bates.edu does not exist
[jhart at A3590 mnt]$ sudo mount -t hfs afp://a4567.bates.edu /mnt/a4567
mount: special device afp://a4567.bates.edu does not exist

--
Mr. James A. (Jim) Hart, Project Manager
Academic Technology Services