KDE, GNOME and older Power Macs

David Wadson wadson at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 19 06:50:53 MDT 2004

On Monday, October 18, 2004, at 09:46  PM, R. McFarlane wrote:

>         The best solution is to setup the fastest Mac you can as the
> main server and then use the other Macs as clients that connect to
> that server for their GUI. You will want a 100bT connection to and
> from each machine for best performance. The advantage to this is that
> the fastest Mac does all the hard work and the slower Macs are merely
> thin clients. Look around the LEM Swap List, eBay, craigslist or even
> your local classifieds for an original iMac. These little guys are
> great for their performance/price ratio. You don't even need the
> original CRT to use them, any old Mac monitor will do or using an
> adapter a regular VGA monitor. I now have 2 original iMacs, one
> running as a server and the new addition needs a few more parts to
> work (PS and down converter board).
>

> Sincerely,
>
> R. McFarlane

I hadn't thought of this approach. I'll also have available a Power Mac
9600/300, and a couple of G3/266s that I could use as a server. RAM for
the G3s isn't too expensive and their DLink has a cheap 10/100 ethernet
card that goes for about $20 CDN locally. Sure, these machines aren't
the greatest but for about $50 of RAM and a faster NIC, I'm well below
the cost of a new computer, however cheap they might be nowadays.

Thanks,

Dave