Export X Windows Display to YDL 4.0

Longman, Bill longman at sharplabs.com
Wed Oct 20 10:21:20 MDT 2004

> 	While you are trying to determine the problem, may I suggest an
> alternate technique you may not be aware of?
> (requires ssh to be installed on both ends, usually not an issue)
>
> simply open konsole on powerbook and type
> 	ssh -X remoteUsername at addressOfMachineExportingXapp "pathToXapp"
> enter your password and voila - all the other steps are no longer
> required....
>
> 	I can't think of any reason off hand to do it via
> telnet except if
> ssh is na on the exporting machine.

I would even run it this way:

  ssh -f -X remoteUsername at addressOfMachineExportingXapp "pathToXapp"
      ^^

The -f will "fork" the process into the background once you get
authenticated so it doesn't hang around and you can still use your local
terminal. And as Brian mentioned, the caveat is that the remote server's
sshd.conf allows X forwarding (X11Forwarding yes).