KDE, GNOME and older Power Macs

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 19:06:57 MDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:27:23 -0700, Longman, Bill <longman at sharplabs.com> wrote:

> I don't if you find it reasonable, but not using kde but X alone will
> make your machine work much faster.  eg 64 mb will do to
> run X & mozilla....

I've been wondering about that. How can you get "just" X running on
YDL (as I type this from "Window Maker")?

I logged in using the "Window Maker" but I gather that GNU Step is not
actually like GNOME or KDE (I ain't a developer so I don't quite get
the distinctions between OpenStep, Mach, NeXT, etc.)? I find it
interesting and it 'seems' like it speeds things up slightly but I
find  the interface relies far too heavily on second- or even
third-mouse button clicks (I am partial to KISS). That said, it's got
a very slick base. All you need to stick on top of it is a decent
launcher/switcher (one that doesn't rely on second mouse clicks and
navigating through oodles of sub-menus).

<sneaks away quietly before he gets smacked for bringing up VNC yet again>

In GMail that's not an issue :) The messages just stack on top of one
another and they're all linked (have I said yet that GMail is
awsome?).

Sincerely, Eric.